Copers Cope Safer Neighbourhood advise that Bromley Borough has been hit with a large number of catalytic converter thefts. The main vehicles that have been identified are Ford Galaxys, VW Sharans and Seat Alhambra. This however doesn’t mean they wont target others.
Due to the high value of the precious metals contained in a vehicles exhaust system, thieves are stealing catalytic converters. A catalytic converter could cost over £1000 to replace. It is easier for a thief to slide underneath a vehicle with a high ground clearance. Other vehicles commonly targeted include Mercedes Sprinters/Ford Rangers/Mitsubishi vans/4x4s. It takes a thief less than 2 minutes to unscrew the securing bolts or cut the exhaust and remove a converter.
Crime Prevention advice
- Where possible, park your vehicle in a locked garage. Engrave/etch the converter – having stickers on a vehicle warning that the converter is security marked deters thieves as they will not want to take something that is harder to sell on and easier for police to trace.
- Invest in a lock – have a specially devised catalytic converter lock professionally fitted. Most garages can advise you on these locks.
- Weld converter bolts – you could have your mechanic weld them on. The main drawback is that it will be more difficult for you to remove and will be more expensive.
- Install motion sensor lighting – this comes on when it is dark if there is any movement around your vehicle/premises.
- Park your vehicles defensively – if you own multiple vehicles use those with the lowest ground clearance to block those with a higher clearance. If all your vehicles have a high clearance park them very close together.
Please be vigilant in your neighbourhood and report any suspicious activity straight away to your local neighbourhood team on 101 or if you believe a crime is in progress call 999. If you would like to pass on information but wish to remain anonymous then call Crimestoppers on 0800-500-111