Local Police have advised of a rise in garage burglaries in Beckenham recently, mainly garages en bloc behind blocks of flats. Officers have been leafletting the area and talking to residents with the following advice:
How secure is your garage?
We have recently seen an increase in garage burglaries in your area recently. We are tackling this with uniformed patrols in and around your area. However there are steps you can take to prevent and deter the Burglars. Burglars will generally look for a garage that is insecure or in disrepair. Make sure you have a strong door on your garage capable of withstanding entry by brute force.
- Consider fitting an alarm to your garage or shed
- Mark your property with a UV marker pen
- Use http://www.immobilise.co.uk to record the serial numbers of your electrical items
- Keep a record of the property in the garage/shed including photographs. This will assist in recovery of your property.
- Secure the property inside your garage to a wall or consider padlocking several items together
- A garage defender can be used on up and over garage doors
- A security bar can be installed externally providing a visible deterrent and will prevent the door opening and protect the hinges and the lock
If you would like a crime prevention visit please email us on email@example.com
Please be vigilant and if you see something suspicious call police or 101 or in an emergency 999.