Improvement Works Update courtesy of F M Conway, contractor for the works.
Phase 3 works
- From Tuesday 29th August the High Street from the War Memorial to Thornton’s Corner will be one way. The direction of traffic will move northeast, from the War Memorial to Thornton’s Corner with diversions on Rectory Road. This one way system will be in place until the end of November 2017 when works will be suspended for the Christmas period. In January 2018 temporary one way traffic flow will be reintroduced.
- Work to excavate the highway will continue. Additional drainage will be installed and the new kerbing will be installed.
- Thames Water has had a problem with one of their water mains. As a consequence surfacing work in the section of The High Street between Thornton’s Corner and Beckenham Junction has been temporarily stopped. Thames Water is dealing with the problem and once corrected resurfacing will resume.
- The construction of the new planters on Beckenham Green will continue.
Traffic Management Issues.
- Concerns have been raised regarding traffic flow at the junction with Thornton’s Corner. TfL are monitoring this issue and may regulate the green light timings to account for traffic flow at certain times of the day. The left turn from one section of the High Street to the other is, presently much sharper for buses, due to the works outside Kelsey Park House on the opposite corner. Buses are currently slowing to avoid safety barriers therefore forcing vehicles from Manor Road and Kelsey Park Road to wait. As the work progresses along this section of the High Street, the situation will improve. For reference some works such as traffic signals and power connections are conducted by outside agencies such as Transport for London and UKPN. The project does not have control of these works).
- The High Street from Thorntons Corner to Beckenham Junction has remained one directional. Consideration by the Councils Highways Department and TfL has concluded that this is the best solution during the remainder of the works. It is considered that despite diversions signs some cars would continue to drive south from Bromley Road junction and cause traffic management problems when confronted with the one directional traffic management for the High Street between Thorntons Corner and the War Memorial.
- New road closures and bus diversions are in place.