Notification of major gas works: Albemarle Road area of Beckenham
An upgrade of the gas network in the Albemarle Road area of Beckenham is currently underway. This essential work involves the replacement of old metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure a safe and reliable gas supply is provided to the local area. The contractor JDT Utilities will undertake this work on the behalf of Scotland Gas Networks (SGN).
So that disruption is minimised, careful consultation and planning has taken place in partnership with Bromley Borough Council. The upgrade will start on Monday 8 July and last approximately 18 weeks. Engineers will be working in three overlapping phases as follows:
Phase 1 – Westgate Road, between its junction with The Avenue and Foxgrove Road
- SGN will begin the project on Westgate Road between the junctions of The Avenue and Foxgrove Road on Monday 8 July for approximately four weeks
- To ensure everyone’s safety temporary multi-way traffic lights will be installed at the junction of The Avenue for the first two weeks of this phase
Phase 2 – Westgate Road, between its junction with the railway bridge and Albemarle Road
- From Monday 22 July work will start on Westgate Road between its junction with the railway bridge and Albemarle Road for approximately five weeks
- For reasons of safety, Westgate Road between these junctions will be temporarily closed. A signed diversion will be in place for motorists and access for residents and pedestrians will be maintained
- To ensure everyone’s safety and maintain traffic flow temporary multi-way traffic lights will be installed at the junction of Albemarle Road during this phase.
Phase 3 – Albemarle Road, between its junction with Westgate Road and Downs Bridge Road
- From Monday 12 August, engineers will start working on Albemarle Road between its junction with Westgate Road and Downs Bridge Road for approximately thirteen weeks
- Engineers will progress along Albemarle Road towards its junction with Downs Bridge Road working under multi-way temporary traffic lights to allow the work to be completed safely
Engineers will be working extended hours Monday – Saturday between 8am and 6pm to minimise disruption.
The new plastic pipe has a minimum lifespan of 80 years. This means that when the work is complete, Beckenham businesses and residents will continue to enjoy the benefits of a safe and reliable gas supply for years to come.
(information provided by Scottish Gas Network)
Category Archives: Town Centre